The “Badia di Pomaio” began as a monastery in the year 1644
Two brothers from Arezzo, monks of the “Vallambrosani” order, Don Gregorio and Don Guglielmo Rasi, with a large inheritance from their father wanted to establish the new monastery in San Giovanni Guadalberto and name it after the founder of the order. The Pope Innocent XI favored them moving to the new monastery from San Romolo di Pratora because this place was in a horrible condition; it was a ruin and cold. The two founding brothers were still alive, however, when another Pope, Innocent XI, began to promote the right of community life among the monks, abolished then all the small monasteries including precisely the Badia di Pomaio. The monastery was transformed into Grancia. Grancia was the name that the monks of various orders, including the Vallambrosani’s order, gave to their farms. The Badia di Pomaio became in later centuries a place of retreat and prayer in the workplace, the heart of the management of a vast agricultural land owned by the church. Since the mid – 800 has been inhabited by several families of sharecroppers, until the ‘60s of the last century when, with the depopulation of the countryside and the end of the farming activities, the “Badia” was completely abandoned.
A long and careful restoration has created the hotel and restaurant Badia di Pomaio, where you can still breathe the air of peace and calmness of yesteryear.